Historical Timeline

Kato Panagia, Asia Minor, until 1922

1720
Creation of the Village
Descent from Chorioudi

Source: Antonis Poulakis, in the Journal of the Philological Society of Constantinople (Volume XVIII, 1888).

1780
Establishment of the Secret School

From Christodoulos Pantazis, who was a member of the Filiki Etaireia and an associate of Rigas Feraios. A copy of the *Charta* (Map) of Rigas Velestinlis was kept in Kato Panagia as a family heirloom but was destroyed in 1922.

1821
War of Independence

Our village actively participated in the Revolution of 1821, contributing 40 brave fighters to the Phalanx of the Ionians.

1822
Sack of the Village

The Turks loot the village out of revenge. Execution of Christodoulos Pantazis.

1830
Population 1,250

1886: 5,200 inhabitants; 1922: 7,000 inhabitants, all Greeks.

1830
Construction of the Church

Construction of the Cemetery Church of Saint John the Forerunner (Kountouroudia). Feast of the Dead on June 24th.

1831
Boys' Elementary School

Founding of the school using the curriculum of the Evangelical School of Smyrna.

1845
Start of construction of the great Church of the Virgin Mary

August 15

1846
Start of port construction

Construction of the harbor mole and pier, including the Port Authority and Customs buildings.

1846
Cholera epidemic in the village
1846
Construction of the Administrative Building (The Konaki)
1856
Completion of the Church of Panagia
1857
Establishment of a Greek School

Three-class school (Grades A, B, and C)

1863
Establishment of a Girls' School
1864
Construction of the Church of Saint Demetrios
1876
Marble Iconostasis of the Virgin Mary

By the hand of Giannoulis Chalepas the Elder

1878
Operation of the Argenon Literary Society
Φιλολογικός Σύλλογος Αργεννον
1881
The Chios earthquakes

Damage in the village. Passage of a steamship bound for Tinos (the village's salvation on March 22nd).

1883
The Vatzikio Earthquakes

Damage in our village, too. 

1883
Construction of the Church of Saint Nicholas
1886
Upgrade to the Municipality of Kato Panagia

Nikolaos Limnioudis was the first elected mayor.

1886
Construction of a carriage road to Cesme

With the help of fellow villagers and the municipality

1890
Destructive phylloxera

Starting from Gotzalani

1890
Fire at the Church of Saint Nicholas

Destruction of the temple

1890
Suspension of Tax Payments

Suspension of tax payments to the heirs of Melek Pasha. Trial in Constantinople and imprisonment of N. Limnioudis and X. Pantazidis.

1890
Closure of Churches

Due to the threat of abolishing the privileges of the Civil Administration

1890
Start of road construction towards Smyrna

Construction of a carriage road to Smyrna through the manual labor of villagers.

1890
Persecution of the Christian element

Cutting of the sails in the workshops 

1893
Devastating storm

In June, a storm—bringing rain and hail—sweeps away the threshing floors. The Church of Panagia is re-roofed due to a proliferation of sparrows and agricultural damage. A devastating locust plague occurs.

1893
Stance and Resistance Against Authority

On Clean Monday, Georgios and Stefanos Tziotis, Michalis Michelis (Psouis), and Georgios Tsourianis take center stage.

1895
Construction of a fountain in the courtyard of Panagia.

δεξαμενή νερού

1899
Founding of the "Omonoia" Renovation Association
1901
Shipwreck of a Russian vessel

With pilgrims to the Holy Land at Karaftoulas.

1908
Fundraising drive for the large sanctuary lamp

Due to cases of smallpox

1908
The Turkish Constitution

Arrest and trial of Ioannis G. Koutouvidis, Krit. Piperas, Georgios Ir. Pantazidis, and Dimitris Limnioudis

1908
Feast of the Virgin Mary – August 15th
1909
Death of Athanasios Piperas, Metropolitan of Serres and Nigrita and Ethnomartyr
Μητροπολίτης Σερρών Ααθνάσιος ΠΙπέρας

in the Macedonian Struggle, a son of Kato Panagia

1910
The two bridges are being rebuilt as iron bridges.

Halley's Comet

1913
Shipwreck of the French ship "Niger"

at Karaftoulas's

1914
Arrival of the German General Liman von Sanders in the village.

Arrival of the "Matzourides" (Turkish refugees from Serbia, Tuesday, May 13, 1914) in the village; looting and intimidation. 

1914
The First Persecution
Κατασκήνωση Προσφύγων Κοντάρι Χίος

Sunday, May 18, 1914, refuge in Chios; the last mayor was Ioannis Papachatzis.

1914
Karpouzakis’s rebel campaign based in Chios

with the participation of the Katapanagiousides

1916
Fellow villagers who volunteered for the Archipelago Division
1919
Return to the Homeland

Return to the homeland with the Greek army (starting 28 October 1919 and concluding in February 1920).

1919
Re-establishment of the Greek Community of Kato Panagia

Kriton Piperas is President; I. Pantazidis, An. Pikridas, K. Psaroudakis, and D. Christofidis are board members.

1919
Return of the Miraculous Icon of the Virgin Mary

with a Hellenic Navy destroyer

1922
Retreat of the Greek Army, Destruction of Asia Minor
καταστροφή της Σμύρνης 1922
1922
The Passion-filled Journey of the 800 National Martyrs; The Massacre of the Scouts
Πρόσκοποι Κάτω Παναγιάς

Those who survived became refugees for a second time—first on Chios, and from there, they scattered across Greece, America, Australia, and Africa.